John's shared items in Google Reader

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

R.I.P. Carl Fredericksen

Carl Fredericksen was my mentor. At Athenian Upper School, the man took me in and listened to all of my pseudo-intellectual chatter, and guided me toward pursuits that would expand my thought process, and shaped me into the person I am today.

From Dick B., head of the school (abridged):

"It is with great sadness that I report the passing of Carl Fredericksen, former member of the Upper School Humanities department. Carl was a man of many interests and talents. Here at Athenian he taught both history and literature, edited the literary magazine, and created the Humanitas course that has become a hallmark of our curriculum. Carl was diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s in 1997."

I had an active and inventive imagination when I met Carl. Carl captured that, and honed it into an aggressively inventive imagination. He found in me a curious mind that wanted to experiment with every idea possible. He was a philosopher, a questioner, but most of all, he was a teacher.

He will be missed.

No comments: